As of version 1.4.0 the minimum requirements for JCOGS Image have changed.
From JCOGS Image 1.4.0 on you need a server running ExpressionEngine 6 and 7 and using php 8.1 or better for the add-on to operate.
If your server is running ExpressionEngine 5 or php 7.4, you can still use JCOGS Image 1.3.20, but not all the features in 1.4.0 are available to you.
The documentation that follows is for JCOGS Image 1.4.0 - most elements are compatible between the 1.3 and 1.4 versions of JCOGS Image.
To use JCOGS Image 1.4.0 or better you need the following things to be available / in place:
- A web server running php version 8.1 or better.
- The web server's php installation needs to have a copy of the GD or GD2 library installed.
- The web server's php installation needs to have the allow_url_fopen directive set - Image needs this to complete license validation and to retrieve remote images.
- An ExpressionEngine 6 or 7 installation.
JCOGS Image will do its best to let you know if a requirement is not being met:
- Within the Control Panel / Setup area JCOGS Image will display a warning message outlining what element of the requirements is not currently being met.
- If you try to process a template containing JCOGS Image tags on a server that does not meet the JCOGS Image requirements these tags will return no output. However, if JCOGS Image debugging is enabled, the tags will write messages into the EE template debugging log to let you know about which server requirement is not currently being met.
Note: Limits on supported php versions
JCOGS Image itself is php 8.2 compatible. However ExpressionEngine 5 and ExpressionEngine 6 have limitations when it comes to use of advanced versions of php. So for compatability we recommend use of the following php versions:
- ExpressionEngine 5 installations - use php 7.4 and JCOGS Image 1.3.20
- ExpressionEngine 6 installations - use php 8.1 and JCOGS Image 1.4.0
- ExpressionEngine 7 installations - use php 8.2 and JCOGS Image 1.4.0
jcogs_img folder to your
system/user/addons folder and then install from the ExpressionEngine Control Panel Add-ons page.
To update the add-on copy the updated
jcogs_img folder to your
system/user/addons folder, replacing the folder that was there before, and then update the add-on from the ExpressionEngine Control Panel Add-ons page.
When you update an earlier copy of JCOGS Image to version 1.4 or greater, due to changes in the configuration of JCOGS Image's Unified Cache (to enable new features related to the cloud file systems), your existing processed image cache will be cleared.
When you update JCOGS Image may clear both its own Image cache and the EE Template cache; it does this when this is necessary to ensure that when your site's pages next are accessed the images displayed are the correct ones.
If you have installed a third-party caching tool (such as Speedy or Rocket) or if your site uses an external caching system (Litespeed, Varnish etc.) you will need to ensure yourself that those caches are cleared as appropriate; failure to do so may lead to unpredictable output from your website until such times as those caches reset themselves.
Licensing and Operating Modes
JCOGS Image is licensed software, to get full use from it you will need to purchase a license key.
A license key will allow the add-on to operate without limitation on a single EE installation running on a server connected to the public internet and on any number of EE installations linked to servers with local IP ranges or using domains ending in any of these top level domain suffixes: acc, acceptance, demo, example, invalid, loc, local, localhost, sandbox, stage, staging, test, testing, vm.
You can to purchase a license online from the EE Add-on Store. Once purchased, enter your license key and the email address used for the purchase into the appropriate boxes in the System Defaults section of the JCOGS Image add-on control panel pages.
Use with staging servers
To facilitate the development of sites, licensed copies of JCOGS Image offer you the opportunity to register a staging server linked to a separate public internet domain to use alongside the live site.
Enter the domain name of the staging server into the input field that will appear below the spaces used to register the license key and email address.
The license status of the staging server will be recognised automatically when you install a copy of JCOGS Image on the staging server.
Using JCOGS Image without a license - demonstration mode
When used without a license JCOGS Image will operate in a demonstration mode.
While in demonstration mode JCOGS Image is fully functional, making it possible for you to fully evaluate the software, however:
- When demonstration mode is enabled JCOGS Image will add a watermark to any images processed.
If you encounter any difficulties activating your add-on please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with details.